Taking Care of Your Pet Cat or Kitten
Taking care of cats is not easy, but that should not stop anyone from bringing a cat home. One can be an experienced cat owner or a new one to cat petting, but one thing that will be consistent throughout and a cat owner will have to learn about their cat, is its likes and dislikes. Cats can sometimes be difficult to understand and can be complex to comprehend at times, but it is a gradual process. One thing that a new cat owner or the one who is still deciding to get a cat should know is that bringing a cat home is a long-term commitment and one needs to be ready for this new responsibility. I have two cats and I couldn’t imagine life without these furry little fuzzballs but they both have their finicky little things that they like and dislike. Just when you think you have found the best cat litter in the world, after some trial and error, two days later they seemingly change their minds and stop using it in favor of one of the older ones you purchased before. The same will go for the best cat litter box or the best cat food. You just have to adapt and persevere a little until you find what works.
Know Your Cat or Kitten
Cats can be brought in from outside or can be adopted from a pet shop or many of the adoption centers around the country, can be old or young; all this does not matter because a cat needs to be conditioned into a certain environment and has to be taught certain things like how to eat, how to use the litter boxes, where to play and how to play with toys. One also needs to observe how they behave in different situations like when they are left alone or when they are in the midst of a lot of people, especially, unknown people.
If one has an outdoor cat who has spent a lot of time in the outside environment, then it may take some time to understand them. But one should make it a point to keep an eye out for them whenever they go out. Whereas, having an indoor cat means one can keep a close tab on their health and food habits and can also recognize if there is any kind of health issues arising. Also, it would be easier for the vets while treating them as one can monitor their habits.
There are a lot of things to keep in mind like cat food, litter boxes, and litter, toys, and trees, etc. to be a good cat parent.
Cats need to take care of their business in litter boxes and there are several types available in the market. Litter boxes should be chosen according to the cats size after all, the cat has to be comfortable in the litter box. Open litter boxes should have lower edges so that they can easily go in and out of the box. Also, if the litter box is hooded, then the doorway should be large enough for the cat to pass through. Litter boxes should be placed in locations which are kept clean and should not be crowded.
Best Cat litter 2019
In the litter box, one needs to put litter, and there are various types of litter depending on the material, odor control, and clumping. One should choose eco-friendly options which do not produce too much dust as that can be harmful to cats. Others may want to find clumping litter or maybe you are just searching for the best cat litter in the world! Some of the famous litter types are:
- Silica gel crystals- made of silica beads, this type can control odor and is highly absorbent. But this litter can be dangerous if ingested by cats.
- Clumping clay- made of bentonite, it quickly clumps when it is urinated on which makes the cleaning easier.
- Non-clumping clay- this type of litter is not made of bentonite but another type of clay which does not clump and thus gets smelly and is difficult to clean.
- Corn- it is absorbent and biodegradable and also has odor control. But corn can be bad for cats thus it should be avoided.
- Walnut shells- litter is made of walnut shells which are crushed, therefore, it can clump easily. Also, it has absorbent quality, odor control trait and is eco-friendly.
- Pine- it is made of pine scraps from which oils and allergens are removed. They can clump and the pine scent covers the odor.
Developing a good food habit is important for every animal and so it is important for cats too. They are carnivores which means they need meat, but along with it there should be fruits, vegetable, and carbohydrates. A cat should, on daily basis, have some of the basic nutrients in their diets to keep them healthy such as protein in the form of meat and poultry, taurine which is an essential amino acid, water, minerals, enzymes, and vitamins. While buying cat food, one should look for a balanced diet, and the meat should be named.
There are three types of foods available in the market:
- Wet food- wet food is basically 70 percent water and is helpful in hydration. Wet food is loved by many cats, especially the finicky ones as this type of food is better in taste. One should be careful while selecting the wet food as there can be byproducts of meat in it which one should not buy.
- Dry food- dry food is better for cat’s teeth and allows one to free feed their cat. But dry food can be harmful as they can dehydrate the cat and also cause obesity because of overeating.
- Wet food which is freeze-dried- this is basically the best choice as it is high in enzymes and vitamins and also fresher. It can be a bit expensive, but it is also the best option that can be fed to a cat.
Cat toys and trees
Cats need to play so that they can be kept entertained and kept active so that they do not become obese. Also, if the cats are not entertained and they get bored, they will start scratching and tearing the household things. Several types of cat toys in the market are:
- Feather toys: with feathers attached to it so that the cats can chase after it.
- Wand toys: can be used during the human – cat play time as there will be a toy attached on one end.
- Catnip toys which are stuffed with catnip which makes them super excited due to the smell of catnip in it.
- Electronic toys like laser dots to give them a lifelike interaction.
- Puzzles which mostly involve snacking while playing so that when the cat completes a puzzle they get a treat.
One should also get a cat tree for their furry friends as these trees are a great place for the cats to play on and even rest. One should always get a cat tree made from durable materials like wood or sisal. There should be some levels on the tree so that the cat can climb and play on top of it and also sleep there. The most important feature of the cat tree is the scratching post which keeps the cat from scratching other furniture.
Routine health checkups
A cat should get routine checkups from the vet to keep an eye on their health and also diagnose any problem on time. Vet’s visits are important for cats of all ages to keep their wellness on track with timely blood tests, nutrition tests, vaccinations, dental care, etc. Getting routine checkups means that one can recognize any subtle sign of illness like lack of appetite, vomiting, diarrhea, etc.
Thus, caring for cats is definitely not easy, but it is more like taking care of a family member where one needs to put attention and love towards their needs and health all the time.